Princeton University Head Sailing Coach Position
To view this information on Princeton University’s website, please visit https://campusrec.princeton.edu/sailing
Princeton University Campus Recreation seeks to improve the health and well-being of the University community through the core principles of fitness and wellness, healthy competition, lifelong skill development, and community-building. These guiding principles aim to improve the quality of life on campus and strengthen the ties between and among undergraduates, graduate students, faculty/staff, and community. Campus Recreation provides educational and leadership opportunities through instructional programs, intramural activities, sport club teams, and student employment for diverse levels of skill and ability.
The Princeton University Sailing Team is searching for a coach who has the qualifications to elevate experienced student-sailors to succeed in collegiate regattas — ultimately leading the team to a national title — while also introducing undergraduates to the sport of collegiate dinghy racing. The Princeton University Sailing Team is searching for a coach who has the qualifications to elevate experienced student-sailors to succeed in collegiate regattas — ultimately leading the team to a national title — while also introducing undergraduates to the sport of collegiate dinghy racing. In addition to managing weekday practices, the Coach will assist with relocating the team to a new convenient sailing venue, purchasing a new fleet of dinghies, potentially integrating local high school or community sailing instruction programs, coordinating fundraising efforts, and planning / organizing weekend regatta logistics.
The Head Coach is expected to uphold University values, contributing to “Education Through Athletics”, by expanding student personal and intellectual growth both on and off the water. This position requires full engagement during Spring and Fall competitive intercollegiate sailing seasons, but could be tailored to permit supplementary midwinter and/or summer professional sailing, coaching or yacht club employment. This position is a non-exempt/non-benefits eligible role that will report directly to the Athletic Department’s Campus Recreation Programming Office. The coach will perform his/her duties with guidance from the Alumni Sailing Committee and in coordination with the Sailing team’s Student Leadership Board.
- Effectively develop and execute a strategy to build a regionally and nationally competitive Sailing team.
- Plan and coordinate practices, while encouraging player input in training sessions and game plan development.
- Assisting in all aspects of on-the-water preparation and home regatta management.
- Teach the fundamentals of Sailing to new and inexperienced participants while also enhancing the skills of experienced racers.
- Provide mentorship to team members and assist in student leadership development.
- Assist in fleet and facility maintenance, hosting special events, teaching classes as necessary.
- Serve as an ambassador of the university to showcase Princeton’s visibility across the Sailing community to encourage prospective recruits.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Ability to meet US Sailing Level III qualifications preferred
- Strong knowledge of ICSA rules and requirements
- Possession of a valid/insurable driver’s license
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certification
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as practice and regettas schedule dictates
- Intercollegiate sailing experience or intimate knowledge of intercollegiate sailing and elite level dinghy racing experience strongly preferred
- Experience working directly with a diverse group of college-aged sailors
- Strong organizational skills and ability to take leadership in planning events e.g regattas, practices, team meetings
- Proof of receiving a COVID-19 vaccination authorized by the FDA and/or World Health Organization.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Click the link to submit your application: bit.ly/PUCRecSailingHC (link is external).
- Applications must provide a cover letter, resume, and a minimum of 3 references.
- Position is open until filled.
- Review of applications will begin the week of July 6, 2021.